Monday, January 05, 2015

Discoveries of 2014: Makeup

makeup products

makeup products

makeup products

makeup products

makeup products

makeup products

2014 was a great year in discovering new products that I've loved and truly enjoyed using, and have included in my daily routines. This week will be a recap of all beauty discoveries I've made in the past year and have stood out to me. Today's post will focus on most aspects of makeup - foundation, eyeshadow, mascara and more.

Foundation
Diorskin Star Foundation - One of the most hyped up foundations of 2014 which definitely deserved to be. I have the shade 031 Sand and it is truly like perfect skin in a bottle, while being lightweight and comfortable to wear on the skin. It has SPF and lasts for quite a long time on the skin.

Chanel Perfection Lumiere Velvet Foundation - This is the first Chanel foundation I've ever tried and I put a lot of time into researching this before purchasing. Am I glad I bought this! This is a great foundation for those who have combination to oily skin as the foundation dries down to a smooth velvet finish while keeping the oils at bay. The lasting power is decent, but nothing a blotting sheet can't fix. For reference, I have shade B40, which is a tiny bit dark for me at the moment, but can be blended out to match my skin a little better.

Concealer
Chanel Correcteur Perfection - I bought this on a whim to see if it was comparable to the NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer. I wouldn't say this would be a replacement for the NARS concealer, but it's similar. I use this as a corrector under my eyes, before using the NARS concealer on top. I bought the shade 30 Beige Petale, which is too dark for my skin, but works great as a corrector due to its pink undertone. 

Blush
Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blush Palette - Probably one of the best beauty buys I made in 2014. It contains 3 blush shades that can look beautiful on all skin tones. I don't think I could pick a favourite out of the three, but I really like layering Luminous Flush and Incandescent Electra. All three blushes give a natural flush to the cheeks and a luminous highlight all in one.

Contour
Kevyn Aucoin Sculpting Powder - A silky, matte contouring powder that gives a natural finish. It isn't chalky or orange and really helps with mimicking shadows to help contour a face that may not have strong cheekbones. Because the powder has some grey undertones, it really helps with giving a more realistic contour shade than bronzers.

Eyebrows
Hourglass Arch Brow Sculpting Pencil - The first brow product that I used and immediately loved. I especially like the shape of the pencil, which makes it super easy and fast to fill in my brows. The dark brunette shade is a decent match for me and continues to be my favourite brow product for now. You can read more about my thoughts of this product here.

Anastasia Brow Wiz - Another brow product I tried in 2014, which I liked. I appreciate the thinness of the pencil to accurately draw in tiny hairs and for being precise in creating the shape of the brows. I also reviewed this brow pencil here

Eyeshadow
Bobbi Brown Warm Eye Palette - Possibly the perfect warm neutral eyeshadow palette for me. This was the only palette I reached for since I got it, as it has a great combination of light, medium and dark shades. It also has both matte and shimmery shades. You can read my review and see swatches of the shades here

Eyeliner
Kat Von D Ink Liner - 2014 was the year I wanted to master liquid eyeliner. After trying a few out, the Kat Von D Ink Liner came out as my favourite felt tipped liquid liner. It has just the right amount of flexibility and stiffness, while giving an extremely black colour that also isn't shiny.

Essence Waterproof Eyeliner Pen - Not my favourite liquid liner, but the felt tip is stiff with no flexibility, which is excellent for drawing the flick when doing winged liner. When I'm having a bit of difficulty with drawing the flick with the Kat Von D Ink Liner, I use this.

Mascara
Shu Uemura Petal Lash Mascara - The best mascara I've used in a while. It's great for keeping the curl and is smudgeproof. Even though it doesn't explicitly say it's waterproof, you definitely need a good eye makeup remover to get this off. 

Honourable Mentions
Last but not least, I have a few honourable mentions from 2014. I finally tried out the Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick, Clarins Instant Light Natural Lip Perfector, and Bobbi Brown Pot Rouge. Even though I had only used these products a few times in the last couple months of 2014, I enjoyed them! I will continue to use them in 2015 to see if they will be products I will fall in love with and put into my daily routine.


What are some of your makeup discoveries from 2014?

Also, stay tuned for my skincare and haircare discoveries of 2014 coming later this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Template designed By The Sunday Studio.